Unfortunately I have to bring the generally mirthful tone of the Duotang down a few notches with this post. On Sunday, my grandfather, the venerated SuperPake, passed away from a stroke and a subsequent heart attack at the ripe old age of 87.
My grandpa’s awesome (still using present tense…). He puts the Super in SuperPake and the Grand in Grandpa. Some fun facts about him are:
1) the name SuperPake is actually a tribute to Friesland (where he’s from). In Frisian, Pake means grandpa. He is my niece’s “great” grandpa. Another word for great? Super. *Presto*
2) SuperPake spent time in a Nazi POW camp and then, once released, aided in the Dutch Underground. He then spent 3 years in Indonesia after the end of WW2. He was a small guy, but he was wiry, and I bet he’d give YOU a run for your money.
3) SuperPake said the word “milk” like this: “mil-ik”.
4) SuperPake likes to play Euchre and drink Bailey’s.
5) SuperPake was a mac; taking all the widows to the movies and to play cards. *high five*
Bye grandpa. xoxo
(these people are not related to me or SuperPake. They are, however, in Leeuwarden, where my grandpa is from. Adds flavour, don’t you think?)